Friday, January 5, 2007

Another snow day in Denver

Three times in two weeks, we've gotten socked in with inches and inches of wet powdered sugar here in Denver! It's effected mail delivery, Fedx and UPS, and grocery stores. The eerie thing is last week there were bare spots on the grocery shelves. I've never seen that in my lifetime. We live in such an affluent country, we don't expect not to get what we want. We're spoiled and we often don't give thanks that all those shelves are stocked just so we can have milk in our coffee or tea. I'm guilty. I like milk in my coffee. In fact, after the second snow, there was no 2% or whole milk on the shelf at our local grocery store. So ...

What do you do on a snow day?

Some folks try to get out to go to work and get stuck.
Some folks do get out and go to work.
When you work at home, there are no excuses.
So today is a good day to print my book project
And continue to watch those little white flakes fall
that cause us so much havoc when we have productive lives to live.

I think hot cocoa, a warm blanket, and a three hankie movie
sounds like a good idea
Or maybe it's a time we can catch up on our reading
make homemade bread, or have quality time with our family.
Why sweat it? Sometimes the forces of nature are stronger than our will.
Is there a message in there somewhere?

Of course, I feel for those who don't get paid if they don't show up
but I never get paid unless I show up anymore
How can employers expect folks to shovel out, spin their wheels,
and come to work fully present when those little white flakes
threaten to lock them in at work.

Now with that said, I spoke to someone today who said,
"I work at a place where if I get snowed in, at least there's a place to sleep."
She's lucky, she works at a hotel.
Most do not have these kinds of comfy accommodations at their office.

My words of wisdom
Stay home
Stay warm
Enjoy the silence and beauty of the little white flakes.

Do you have a snow storm story?